Happy National Volunteer Week!! In the spirit of thanking the 127 volunteers who give their time so generously here at the Canoe Museum, we thought we’d gather a list of the top 10 things you may not know about our dynamic and talented volunteer team! Here we go!
Top 10 Things You May Not Know About Canoe Museum Volunteers
- Volunteers warmly welcome over 26,000 visitors from all over the world through our doors each year! They do an amazing job of making visitors feel like friends.
- Volunteers are responsible for cataloguing a library of over 3,000 titles!
- Volunteers cut over 2,500 pieces of soapstone each year that are used for our school and youth programs.
- Volunteers are responsible for the environmental monitoring of the galleries and the collection storage facility. This includes monitoring humidity, temperature and light levels, all in an effort to protect and preserve the largest collection of canoes and kayaks in the world!
- Volunteers process all of our annual memberships and renewals. With 1000 members and growing, this is a monumental task!
- Volunteers are single-handedly responsible for planning the Museum’s largest annual fundraising event (the Beaver Club Gala), raising $86,020 in 2015!
- Volunteers teach 10 adult artisan workshops to roughly 80 participants each year.
- Volunteers were instrumental in raising over $474,000 in major gift donations in 2015!
- Volunteers lead nearly 500 visitors through guided tours of the Museum’s galleries each year. They do an incredible job of interpreting the collection and telling the best behind-the-scenes stories!
- Volunteers generously gave 11,189 hours of their time to the Canoe Museum in 2015. They are the most generous, dedicated and talented bunch of people!!
National Volunteer Week is a wonderful time to recognize, celebrate and thank our incredible community of volunteers. We’re honoured to work alongside a team of volunteers who are passionate about the collection and who help us tell the stories of Canada to all of our visitors and through each of our education and public programs. Thank you to this group of incredible volunteers for all that you do, you are truly at the heart of this Museum!
Are you interested in joining our volunteer team? Click here for more information!