Make a crooked knife; or explore embroidery, wet felting, caribou hair tufting or quilling on birch bark and much more surrounded by the museum’s one-of-a-kind collection
The Canadian Canoe Museum is pleased to announce its 2020 artisan workshop offerings, featuring five unique new experiences.
In additional to perennial favourites like paddle carving, moccasin making and woodburning, members of the public now have an opportunity to make a crooked knife; or explore embroidery, wet felting, caribou hair tufting or quilling on birch bark.
The museum’s year-long lineup of workshop offerings connects leading artisans with adults of all ages and abilities for unique experiences in the galleries. Participants learn new skills surrounded by artifacts in the world’s largest collection of canoes, kayaks and paddled watercraft.
“These workshops see participants connect to the collection in new and different ways. They allow participants to step away from the busyness of everyday life to use their hands to create. Yes, they leave with an incredible work of art, but the pride they feel in their newfound skills and abilities is what really fuels this type of programming at the museum,” says Beth Stanley, Associate Curator.
Among the museum’s new workshop instructors is Sandra D. Moore, Anishnaabe kwe, from Hiawatha First Nation. She will be working with participants on caribou hair tufting and quillwork – art forms that are at risk of being lost if not shared. Moore travels to many First Nation and other communities and conducts classes in her home teaching space.
For further information on the museum’s workshop lineup, pricing, and to register, please visit https://canoemuseum.ca/artisan-workshops/.
- Make a Wet-Felted Scarf – February 29th, 2020, 9:30am – 4:30pm
- Carve a Mini Paddle – March 26th, 2020 or July 23rd, 2020, 5:30pm – 8:30pm
- Carve a Canoe Paddle – May 2nd and 3rd / September 19th and 20th / December 5th and 6th 9:00am – 5:00pm
- Make a Leather Sheath – April 4th, 2020 – 9:00am – 5:00pm
- NEW! Make a Felted Vessel – April 19th, 2020 – 10:00am – 4:00pm
- NEW! Learn the Basics of Embroidery – April 25th, 2020 – 10:00am – 4:00pm
- NEW! Make a Crooked Knife – April 25th & 26th, 2020 – 10:00am – 4:00pm
- Make a Birch Bark Basket – April 26, 2020 – 9:00am
- Wood-and-Canvas Canoe Restoration – May 30th and 31st, 2020 – 9:00am – 5:00pm
- Learn the Basics of Woodburning – June 13th, 2020 – 10:00am – 5:00pm
- Make a Leather Journal – July 18th, 2020 – 9:00am – 5:00pm
- Make a Beaded Medallion – August 1st, 2020, 10am – 4pm
- Woodburning a Decorative Paddle – August 8th, 2020 – 9:00am – 5:00pm
- NEW! Caribou Hair Tufting – September 5th, 2020 – 10:00am – 2:30pm
- NEW! Quilling on Birch Bark – September 26th, 2020 – 10:00am – 4:30pm
- Make a Coiled Basket with Woodburned Insert – October 24th, 2020 – 9:00am – 5:00pm
- Make a Pair of Winter Moccasins – October 31st & November 1st, 2020 – 8:30am – 5:30pm
- Weave a Pair of Snowshoes – November 2nd & 3rd, 2020 – 8:30am – 5:30pm
- Make Your Own Anorak – November 5th & 6th, 2020 – 8:30am – 5:30pm
- Make a Pair of Wool and Leather Mittens – November 7th & 8th, 2020 – 8:30am – 5:00pm
- Make a Woven Birch Bark Star Ornament – November 19th, 2020 – 6pm – 8pm