WELCOME BACK!We're ready when you are
This page was last updated on December 22, 2020 with information related to the provincial lockdown. Please continue to check back for new updates.
We can’t wait to welcome you back to the museum! Before we do, we want to let you know that we’ve made a few changes to our galleries to keep you, our volunteers, and staff as safe as possible. Learn more about these changes below, and explore with us when you’re ready!
Not ready just yet? We understand that not everyone will be able or feel comfortable to return to public places at this time. That is why we’ll be continuing our CCM From Home offerings to inspire curiosity, connection, and new understandings virtually!
The museum will be closed as of 2pm on December 24th due to the provincial lockdown.
BEFORE YOU VISIT
Please stay home if you have travelled outside of Canada within the past 14 days, had close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19, feel ill, or are experiencing any of the following symptoms:
- new or worse cough
- shortness of breath
- difficulty breathing
- sore throat
- runny nose/nasal congestion without other known cause
- pink eye (conjunctivitis)
- difficulty swallowing
- unexplained fatigue/malaise/muscle aches
- abdominal pain
- decrease or loss of sense of smell or taste
- OR for persons 70 years of age and older:
- unexplained or increased number of falls
- acute functional decline/confusion
- worsening of chronic conditions
Although we are following all health and safety guidelines (see What We Are Doing to Keep You Safe), please note there is an inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19, as there is in any public place. By visiting The Canadian Canoe Museum you voluntarily agree to follow the posted health and safety protocols, and take responsibility for mitigating your own risk of exposure to COVID-19 (practicing physical distancing, frequent hand washing or sanitization, wearing a mask, not touching your eyes, nose, mouth, etc.).
MASKS & FACE COVERINGS
Be sure to bring your own face mask or covering! All visitors are required to wear a face mask or covering, with the exception of:
- Children under 2 years
- Children under 5 years (chronologically or developmentally) if they cannot or refuse to wear it
- People who cannot put it on or remove it without assistance
- People who have difficulty breathing while wearing it, or have other medical exemptions
- People who cannot wear it for religious reasons
Forgot your mask at home or don’t have one? We will have masks available for a nominal fee.
WHAT WE ARE DOING TO KEEP YOU SAFE
- Requiring masks for all staff and volunteers working in our galleries and store.
- Limiting visitor numbers and encouraging physical distancing with signage and a newly defined visitor flow throughout the museum, including in our store.
- Collecting the name and phone number of visitors and shoppers in the event that the information is requested by Peterborough Public Health for contact tracing purposes.
- Providing more hand sanitizer stations throughout the museum.
- Increasing our cleaning and disinfecting schedules.
- Providing plexiglass as a protective barrier at our admissions desk, store counter, in our Living Traditions workshop.
- Daily COVID-19 self-assessments for all on-site staff and volunteers.
- Requiring staff and volunteers who recently travelled, are feeling ill, or experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19 to stay home for a 14-day period.
- Continuing to follow the guidance and advice of the Provincial and Federal Governments, World Health Organization, and our local health unit, Peterborough Public Health.
HOURS OF OPERATION *NEW*
Currently: TUESDAYS, THURSDAYS, and SATURDAYS from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. with the following exceptions:
Thurs Dec 24 – OPEN, close at 2 p.m
The museum will then be closed in compliance with the Ontario provincial lockdown.
*NEW winter hours of operation*
Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays: 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
As we adjust to re-opening, The Canadian Canoe Museum will be operating on reduced hours of operation. These hours may be extended in the future.
ENTRANCE & ADMISSIONS *NEW*
- As part of our enhanced COVID safety protocols, as of December 18th, we are requesting that visitors pre-book and purchase their admission tickets in advance of their visit to the museum. This no-contact payment method helps reduces touchpoints and ensures a quick entry process for visitors while allowing us to collect contact tracing data and manage our capacity to ensure proper physical distancing and your safe enjoyment of the museum.
- Your admission ticket(s) can be used at any time during our opening hours on the date you’ve selected.
- Members must have an active membership on the date of their visit. If your membership is found to be expired when you arrive, you will be asked to renew or purchase general admission.
- Please practice safe physical distancing by following the signage, lines, and arrows in our front lobby when entering.
For information on admissions rates, please visit: https://canoemuseum.ca/museum-info/
YOUR MUSEUM EXPERIENCE
- All visitors are required to wear a face mask or covering.
- We’ve added even more hand sanitizer stations and ask that you use hand sanitizer upon entering the museum or our store, and frequently throughout your visit.
- You will notice floor signage and posters reminding you to practice physical distancing and keep two meters away from guests outside of your group (pretend you are portaging a canoe!).
- Just like a river, our museum now has a defined flow for visitors to follow in order to practice physical distancing and reduce close interactions. Please follow the marked path throughout your visit. There are still plenty of spots to stand back and observe, or let others pass by safely, if you want to soak everything in!
- Touchable interactives have been removed from the galleries in accordance with provincial and public health requirements. Not wanting to lose our sense of play and curiosity, we have digitized some of these interactives which can be accessed from your phone, or after your visit at home. Children’s activity packs will also be available to take home with you to extend your experience!
- If you require the use of the elevator, we ask that you notify one of our team members so that we can clean and sanitize between each use.
- NEW: Guided tours have resumed (Tuesdays at 11am and Thursdays at 3:30pm) with new protocols in place. Tours must be pre-booked ahead of time.
- We are limiting the number of shoppers in our store to help ensure physical distancing. You may be asked to queue before entering.
- Upon entering and exiting the store, shoppers will be required to sanitize their hands.
- We ask that you browse with your eyes and minimally handle the products. One of our staff or volunteers would be happy to assist if you have questions about a product!
- We are not accepting cash at this time. Contactless forms of payment are available.
- Out of precaution, we are unable at this time to accept any returns for items that have left the store.
Shop online, from anywhere in the world, 24/7 at canoemuseumstore.ca
We also offer online shopping with free local pickup!
SUPPORT THE CANADIAN CANOE MUSEUM
Please consider supporting The Canadian Canoe Museum during this difficult time. The museum has been greatly impacted by COVID-19, and while it has changed how we work, our work of inspiring connection, curiosity, and new understanding continues in innovative ways. Your financial support during this time of uncertainty enables this work to continue, while ensuring the continued care of our world-class collection of canoes, kayaks, and paddled watercraft. Thank you!