- This event has passed.
Textile Canoe: A Participatory Art Project with Vanessa Coplan
August 22, 2019 @ 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Join us for a drop-in textile arts workshop brought to the Museum by Vanessa Coplan, an Ottawa-based fibre and mixed media artist with a background in collaborative community arts.
As a participant, and will weave, tie, pull, wrap, knit and sew textiles to create a 14-foot canoe over the course of the next month, culminating in a temporary exhibit in the Museum. Coplan has used the wire and textile sculpture techniques in other community projects – but this is the first canoe, and we will all share the experience and experimentation of its creation.
Suitable for participants ages eight to adult. Younger children will be encouraged to take part with parent/guardian supervision and assistance. Bring your own fabric pieces or use what we have on hand for the project.
The workshop series is included with admission to the museum (or free on Thursday nights) or membership, on the following dates:
- August 22nd – 5:00-8:00pm, with the artist (free admission Thursday evenings).
- August 24 – 10:30-1:30pm, with the artist
- August 25 – 12:30-3:30pm, with the artist
- August 29 – 5:00-8:00pm (free admission Thursday evenings)
- August 31 – 10:30-1:30pm
- September 1 – 12:30-3:30pm
- September 2 – 10:30-1:30pm
New drop-in sessions added!
- September 12, 5:30-7:30pm (free admission Thursday evenings)
- September 14 and 15, 10:30-3:30
- September 19, 5:30-7:30pm (free admission Thursday evenings)
- September 21 and 22, 10:30-3:30
- September 28 and 29, 10:30-3:30
- October 5 10:30-5:30 (with the artist)
- October 6 12:30-4:30 (with the artist
Drop-in during any of the workshop times (give yourself at least 45 minutes to take part – or stay as long as you like) to add your piece to the canoe.