Virtual Field Trips for Schools
Due to the current Ontario public health protocols, we have paused our virtual program delivery.
Our virtual field trips will resume March 1.
The Canadian Canoe Museum offers flexible, curriculum-linked virtual field trips for in-classroom and/or remote learners on the platform of your choice.
We look forward to supporting teachers and students through the challenges of this unprecedented time, and will be adding more virtual programs throughout the school year! Sign up for notifications of new virtual and learning programs at the museum (you can unsubscribe at any time).
Bark Skin and Cedar: Live Virtual Field Trip
How does where you live affect what you create? Join museum staff live at the Canadian Canoe Museum to explore the various geographical regions of Canada, the richness of traditional Indigenous watercraft, the diverse peoples who build them, and the cultural significance of canoes and qajaqs past and present. In this dynamic, interactive visit to our Origins gallery, we’ll get up close to dugouts from the West Coast, qajaqs from the Arctic, and birchbark canoes from across the country! With building demos, unique artifacts and models, maps, and lots of interaction between your students and our educators, this virtual field trip offers a unique way to explore art and technology, Indigenous perspectives, Canadian geography, and more.
Length: 45 minutes
Grades: 3-12 (We customize the depth, focus and delivery style of this virtual field trip to the grade and learning goals of your class.)
Includes downloadable hands-on follow up activity.
Frequently Asked Questions
When are virtual field trips available?
- Mondays to Wednesdays, 9:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. EST
- Start times on the quarter-hour.
What platform do I need?
- We’ll use whatever is most accessible to you and your students. Zoom, Skype, Google Meet, Teams, just let us know.
- If you don’t have a preferred/required platform, we will use Zoom.
Are your programs for in-classroom or remote learning?
- Short answer: both.
- Longer answer: We find that there is a difference in how to engage students meaningfully whether you are zooming to a student with an individual device, or in a group classroom setting with students sharing the screen. We use different techniques depending on the way you’ll be connecting with us.
How long are the virtual field trips?
- 30-50 minutes depending on age group and program.
- See individual program descriptions for times.
What do your virtual field trips cost?
- Cost varies depending on which virtual field trip you choose and whether it uses a materials kit.
- Base cost (without kits) is $60 (CDN) for up to 15 students, with $4 (Cdn) for each additional participant.
- Please see individual program descriptions for the add-on cost of materials kits.
- Our education programs are tax-exempt.
Do you have a maximum number of students?
- No, but we recommend a maximum of 30 for the best interactivity and student engagement.
Can you help with my tech setup?
- We are happy to set up a test call/visit in advance of your booking date. We will also send clear instructions for your platform at the time of booking.
- Please note: Zoom does not require you (or your students) to download anything to your device. We simply send you a link, which you click to join us for your virtual field trip